Embudo is also sometimes referred to as Embudo Station and is an unincorporated community located in Rio Arriba County of New Mexico. It sits along State Route 68 and is about 2.9 miles to the south of the intersection with State Route 75, which is the point when the Rio Grande and Embudo River combine.
The name Embudo means “funnel” in Spanish and the settlers chose that name due to the landscape. The shape of the hills along the location where the Rio Embudo flows between them was reminiscent of a funnel.
The town of Embudo was first founded back in 1881 at the same time that the Chili Line depot station from the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad opened. Today Embudo has a Historic District and to get to it you simply have to cross the concrete bridge along the Rio Grande. Embudo has some history with the United State Geological Survey – USGS as it was the location of the first stream gauging station that looked at the Rio Grande’s flow. This was also the location of the first training center from the USGS for hydrographers.