Trader George Sterling founded Orangeburg in 1704 and named the town in honor of William IV, Prince of Orange, who was the husband of Princess Anne, daughter of George II of England. In 1735, 200 Swiss, German, and Dutch immigrants created their own community on the banks of the North Edisto River. The city of Orangeburg, South Carolina, was later incorporated in 1883. Orangeburg spans approximately 8.5 square miles and is famous for its Southern charm and heritage. Columbia, SC, is only a 30-minute drive away. Orangeburg is one hour from Charleston, SC, and 90 minutes from Savannah, Georgia, and Hilton Head Island, SC.