Ray is a small, unincorporated community located along the central northern border of Minnesota in Koochiching County. It is right on the intersection of State Highway 217 and U.S. Highway 53. There are also three country roads that cut through the vicinity and a river. There is a cemetery and a church in addition to the many residences in the town. There is a total population around 383 residents with 151 households and 109 families residing in the area. The territory was named for Edwin Ray Lewis who came from Grand Rapids and was a timber cruiser and land surveyor in the region. As the gold mining boom hit the region, the community was divided into 6 areas in 1893. The post office was established in 1907 as the Pacific Railway brought about more growth.