Clinton Township, Michigan, is a charter township and CDP of three different counties: Macomb County, Lenawee County, and Oscoda County. The population sits at about 100,000 people, with roughly 3,500 people per square mile. The very first settlement in Clinton Township was made in 1782 by David Zeisberger and a group of his cohorts. At the time of its establishment, Clinton Township was called “the site of New Gnadenhutten.” In 1827, the Clinton River Navigation Company was founded to construct a 216-mile connection between Lake Michigan and Lake St. Clair.
Since the area is heavily wooded, lumbering has been a common practice. An abundance of hardwood paved the way for farming to develop into one of the area's main forms of work, and in time, many mills were built up around the sides of the Clinton River to accommodate these farmers. This area is thick with local history that dates back to the colonial period. Moravian Drive, the oldest road in the township, can be traced back to when the Moravian missionaries settled and aimed to convert the local Native Americans.