The village of Potter, Wisconsin is located in Calumet County in eastern Wisconsin. The village was originally established by American Civil War Captain Orin R. Potter in 1859 who build a feed mill in the area. Prior to Captain Potter's arrival, the village had been known as Muskratville because it was home to a large number of muskrats that were trapped for their fur. Upon building his feed mill, Captain Potter renamed the village Potter Mills which was later shortened to Potter. Today the village is still fairly small, covering only 0.55 square miles and housing around 250 people.
The greater Calumet County area covers nearly 400 square miles and has a total population of about 50,000 people. The name of the county comes from the Native American word “calumet”, the name given to a type of ceremonial pipe. The Calumet County area was used as a relocation area by the U.S. Government during the 1830s for a number of Native American tribes including the Brothertown Indians, Oneida Indians, and the Stockbridge-Munsee Indians. Today, Potter and the greater Calumet County area are known for being rich in Wisconsin history and for providing a number of recreational opportunities. The county contains three county parks, a large fairgrounds, and the site of a popular sturgeon spearing season along Lake Winnebago.