Located in the county seat of Madison County, Tennessee, Jackson has a total population of just under 70,000 people. It is contained within the Jackson County Metropolitan Area and is home to the Tennessee Supreme Court's courthouse for West Tennessee. European-Americans settled the area before 1820, and the city was originally named Alexandria. Later, the name of the city was changed to honor President Andrew Jackson. Historically significant, the city played a major role in both the Civil War and the development of the railroads.