Central Greenwell Springs is an unincorporated community that can be found in the East Baton Rouge Parish of Louisiana. The area that is now known as Greenwell Springs was originally developed in 1850 by Robert W. Greenwell who purchased the land and began constructing a medical resort. With ten different springs, Greenwell set up shop and convinced visitors that each spring had its own medicinal properties. The Greenwell Springs Hotel was utilized by the Confederates during the American Civil War, first as a headquarters then as a hospital. After the war, most of the town was torn down but in 1910 a new Greenwell Springs Hotel was built on the site of the old hotel.