Avon is a small town located in Franklin County in Maine. It has a population of around 460 residents. The town was settled in 1781 by two sea captains and incorporated in 1802. At the time of its incorporation it was named after the Avon River in England. It was a very fertile place which easily yielded fruit and vegetables as well as grain. Soon the population increased to 767 residents thanks to the rising wheat production. The town itself enjoys a total land area of 41 square miles.